IT Manager – Marketing & Community (2014-2016) & Communications Manager (2016-2017)
Bodwell High School is a private boarding school for boys and girls in beautiful North Vancouver, Canada. It offers grades 8 to 12 and university preparation. The school’s international student population comes from over 45 different countries. Its slogans are ‘Strength in Diversity’ and ‘Education for a Changing World.’
Role, Results & Achievements
I was hired as a digital marketing consultant on a contract basis at Bodwell in May 2014. One of my recommendations was to hire a full-time digital marketing manager, who eventually ended up being me.
During my 3 years at Bodwell in full-time roles, the school went through a massive expansion. The number of boarding students increased from around 450 to 600+. The school capacity is now close to 700 students.
When I left Bodwell, the school had record enrollment for the next two semesters. The summer program was also recruiting between 400-500 students for its 6 week program at UBC, UVic and Quest University.
During my time at the school we won several marketing awards including:
-ST Star High School for 2014 & 2015
-BCCIE Special Achievement in International Marketing in 2015
As Communications Manager, I was responsible for content to use in digital marketing and communications. This included videos, blogs, newsletters and photography. Some content was created in-house by myself and the marketing team. Other times, content was created by the wider school community, including staff or students. Sometimes, we would outsource or contract third party professionals to create it.
Below is a summary of my main work areas and results achieved during my time as IT Manager – Marketing & Community:
– Efforts of the marketing team led to record enrollment levels for fall 2016 (600+) and for the Summer Program 2016 (400+).
– I was responsible for web strategy and content creation. This included a blog community of over a dozen participants. They contributed 150+ articles from January 2015 – 2017.
– I developed Landing Pages in 15 target languages. These were optimized to perform well in SERPS for 2 specific keyword phrases. These were ‘Vancouver boarding school’ and ‘Canada boarding school’.
– Highlights of results include being in the top 10 in all our major languages. We targeted the most relevant search engine for that language e.g. Baidu for Chinese, Google Mexico for Spanish, Yandex for Russian etc.
– I improved the school website SEO performance in Google Canada search rankings for targeted English-language search terms. This resulted in 17/45 keyword phrases ranking in the top 3 and 24/45 in the top 10.
Online Advertising Campaigns
-I ran successful Google Adwords campaigns in English & other languages. This led to 10-15 extra successful student applications per year.
– I managed online ad campaigns in foreign languages e.g. Baidu for China, Naver in South Korea, Yahoo in Japan and Yandex in Russia.
– I helped build and engage Bodwell’s official Facebook page. Bodwell has Canada’s largest Facebook school page community with over 31,000 fans.
– I planned, promoted and ran 6 social media contests using HootSuite Campaigns, Woobox, ShortStack.
Reviews & Testimonials
– I boosted online reviews of Bodwell on four separate platforms. This was to increase authority and trustworthiness in the school e.g. Google Reviews (4.7 out of 5 from 85 reviews)